Did anyone else's caramel come out runny? I was expecting it to be a little thicker.
Tiny Caramel Tarts
Photo: Jennifer Davick; Styling: Lydia DeGaris Pursell
More From Southern Living
4 Hours, 30 Minutes
- 2 cups sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup cold butter, sliced
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 cups milk
- Cream Cheese Pastry Shells
- Sweetened whipped cream
- 1. Cook 1 cup sugar in a medium-size heavy skillet over medium heat, stirring constantly, 6 to 8 minutes or until sugar melts and turns golden brown. Stir in butter until melted.
- 2. Whisk together flour, egg yolks, milk, and remaining 1 cup sugar in a 3-qt. heavy saucepan; bring just to a simmer over low heat, whisking constantly. Add sugar mixture to flour mixture, and cook, whisking constantly, 1 to 2 minutes or until thickened. Cover and chill 4 hours.
- 3. Meanwhile, prepare Cream Cheese Pastry Shells. Spoon caramel mixture into pastry shells, and top with whipped cream.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This