Did anyone else's caramel come out runny? I was expecting it to be a little thicker.
Tiny Caramel Tarts
Add a festive touch! Just before serving, sprinkle tarts with finely chopped chocolate, crystallized ginger, toffee, or Buttered Pecans.
More From Southern Living
4 Hours, 30 Minutes
- 2 cups sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup cold butter, sliced
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 cups milk
- Cream Cheese Pastry Shells
- Sweetened whipped cream
- 1. Cook 1 cup sugar in a medium-size heavy skillet over medium heat, stirring constantly, 6 to 8 minutes or until sugar melts and turns golden brown. Stir in butter until melted.
- 2. Whisk together flour, egg yolks, milk, and remaining 1 cup sugar in a 3-qt. heavy saucepan; bring just to a simmer over low heat, whisking constantly. Add sugar mixture to flour mixture, and cook, whisking constantly, 1 to 2 minutes or until thickened. Cover and chill 4 hours.
- 3. Meanwhile, prepare Cream Cheese Pastry Shells. Spoon caramel mixture into pastry shells, and top with whipped cream.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note