This is an amazing recipe. Wonderfully refreshing and incredibly delicious as well as beautiful. This will wow your guests.
Tiered Tomato Soup
This eye-popping chilled soup floats a red stratum of tomato soup on a green layer of avocado soup. Clear straight-sided glasses or wineglasses to show off the soup's layers.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 117
- Calories from fat: 65%
- Protein: 2.5g
- Fat: 8.4g
- Saturated fat: 2.1g
- Carbohydrate: 11g
- Fiber: 2.4g
- Sodium: 31mg
- Cholesterol: 3.5mg
- 2 pounds ripe tomatoes
- 3 to 4 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 firm-ripe avocados (8 oz. each)
- 3/4 cup fat-skimmed chicken broth
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 cucumber (12 oz.)
- 3 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh tarragon
- 1. Rinse and core tomatoes; cut into chunks. Whirl in a blender or food processor until smooth, then rub through a fine strainer into a bowl; you should have about 3 cups. Discard residue. Season purée to taste with 2 to 3 tablespoons vinegar and salt. Cover and chill until cold, at least 1 hour.
- 2. Peel and pit avocados; cut into chunks. In a blender or food processor, whirl avocados, broth, sour cream, and lime juice until smooth. Add salt to taste. Cover surface with plastic wrap and chill until cold, at least 1 hour.
- 3. Peel cucumber; cut in half lengthwise and scoop out and discard seeds. Dice cucumber into 1/8-inch pieces; you should have about 1 cup. In a small bowl, mix cucumber, shallots, 1 tablespoon vinegar, and minced tarragon. Cover and chill until cold, at least 30 minutes.
- 4. To serve, stir avocado mixture to blend and pour equal portions into glasses (12 to 16 oz. each). Whisk tomato mixture to blend and gently pour over avocado. Top with diced-cucumber mixture. Clear, straight-sided glasses or wineglasses show off the layers of color best, but large martini glasses also work. You can also use soup bowls and keep the layers a surprise.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note