This cake is fantastic... The best white scratch cake recipe I've yet to find!!! Wonderful texture, color, and the flavor is perfect
Tiered Dogwood Blossom Cake
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 6 cups cake flour
- 5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 8 egg whites
- 1. Grease and flour 1 (14-inch) round cakepan; set aside.
- 2. Beat shortening and butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy; gradually add sugar, beating until blended. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating just until blended.
- 3. Combine cake flour, baking powder, and salt; add to butter mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed until blended after each addition. Stir in vanilla.
- 4. Beat egg whites at high speed with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Fold into cake batter. Spoon batter into cakepan.
- 5. Bake at 325° for 1 hour and 20 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool cake in pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes; remove from pan, and let cool completely on wire rack.
- 6. Wrap layer in plastic wrap, and freeze 2 hours.
- Note: One recipe will make 2 (10-inch) layers and 2 (6-inch) layers. Spoon 5 cups batter into each of 2 greased and floured 10-inch round cakepans, and 2 cups batter into each of 2 greased and floured 6-inch round cakepans. Bake the 10-inch layers 30 minutes and the 6-inch layers 22 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted into the center comes out clean. Layers may be frozen up to 1 month. Unwrap and thaw at room temperature 2 hours.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This