Always looking for a good crockpot recipe!! I doubled the garlic & thyme. Browned and added a couple of turkey Italian sausages, a pork chop and a leftover chicken thigh at the beginning, chopped them up right before serving. (Alas, no duck confit available.) I cooked it on low 7 1/2 hours, turned it up to high and left the lid off for the last half hour to reduce a bit. Don't skip the buttered-breadcrumb-and-cheese step!!! Served it in shallow bowls with crusty French rolls on the side. Merveilleux!
Thyme-Scented White Bean Cassoulet
Butter-tossed breadcrumbs stirred in at the end give this dish a robust stewlike consistency. Meatless Italian sausage stands in for the traditional pork sausage. With this recipe, you can also sauté the sausage slices in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until browned, then stir into the dish.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 298
- Fat: 9.9g
- Saturated fat: 3.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.6g
- Protein: 13.8g
- Carbohydrate: 40.5g
- Fiber: 10.4g
- Cholesterol: 14mg
- Iron: 3.5mg
- Sodium: 709mg
- Calcium: 187mg
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 1/2 cups (1/2-inch-thick) slices diagonally cut carrot
- 1 cup (1/2-inch-thick) slices diagonally cut parsnip
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups cooked Great Northern beans
- 3/4 cup organic vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1 ounce grated fresh Parmesan cheese (about 1/4 cup)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 links frozen meatless Italian sausage, thawed and chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion, carrot, parsnip, and garlic; cover and cook 5 minutes or until tender.
- Place in a 5-quart electric slow cooker. Add beans and next 6 ingredients (through bay leaf). Cover and cook on low 8 hours or until vegetables are tender.
- Combine breadcrumbs, cheese, and butter in a small bowl; toss with a fork until moist. Stir breadcrumb mixture and sausage into bean mixture; sprinkle with parsley.
This recipe has been retested for Cooking Light Slow Cooker Tonight, 2012
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This