My family loves this recipe and it has become a winter staple. We use venison keilbasa and double it. With a husband and 3 teenage boys, there are never any leftovers!
Thyme-Scented White Bean Cassoulet
Butter-tossed breadcrumbs stirred in at the end give this dish a robust stewlike consistency. Meatless Italian sausage stands in for the traditional pork sausage. With this recipe, you can also sauté the sausage slices in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until browned, then stir into the dish.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 298
- Fat: 9.9g
- Saturated fat: 3.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.6g
- Protein: 13.8g
- Carbohydrate: 40.5g
- Fiber: 10.4g
- Cholesterol: 14mg
- Iron: 3.5mg
- Sodium: 709mg
- Calcium: 187mg
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 1/2 cups (1/2-inch-thick) slices diagonally cut carrot
- 1 cup (1/2-inch-thick) slices diagonally cut parsnip
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups cooked Great Northern beans
- 3/4 cup organic vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1 ounce grated fresh Parmesan cheese (about 1/4 cup)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 links frozen meatless Italian sausage, thawed and chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion, carrot, parsnip, and garlic; cover and cook 5 minutes or until tender.
- Place in a 5-quart electric slow cooker. Add beans and next 6 ingredients (through bay leaf). Cover and cook on low 8 hours or until vegetables are tender.
- Combine breadcrumbs, cheese, and butter in a small bowl; toss with a fork until moist. Stir breadcrumb mixture and sausage into bean mixture; sprinkle with parsley.
This recipe has been retested for Cooking Light Slow Cooker Tonight, 2012
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note