Not usually a nut person; I went for it nuts and all. After rolling in the nuts, I would rolled them lightly in my hands again and found they stayed together better. Tried several fillings; but I love raspberry. I gave them as Christmas Cookie gifts and got rave reviews.
These cookies have a bit of crunch from the finely chopped pecans, sweetness from the almond extract, and richness from the butter. But it's the thumbprint impressions on top that give them a personal touch. Strawberry and peach jams make beautiful jewel-colored fillings, but you can use other Southern favorite jams, such as blackberry, muscadine, or apple. They're the perfect cookies to make with the kids – let them make the thumbprints and choose the filling.
More From Oxmoor House
Other: 1 Hour
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups finely chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup strawberry jam
- 1/4 cup peach jam
- 1. Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy; gradually add sugar, beating well. Add egg yolks and almond extract, beating until blended.
- 2. Combine flour and salt; add to butter mixture, beating at low speed until blended. Cover and chill dough 1 hour.
- 3. Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Lightly beat egg whites. Dip each dough ball in egg white; roll in pecans. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets. Press thumb in each dough ball to make an indentation.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes. Cool 1 minute on baking sheets, and remove to wire racks to cool completely. Press centers again with thumb while cookies are still warm; fill center of each cookie with jam.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note