Yield: 14 servings (serving size: 1 slice)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 121
- Calories from fat: 13%
- Fat: 1.7g
- Saturated fat: 0.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 4.1g
- Carbohydrate: 21.8g
- Fiber: 0.9g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 1.5mg
- Sodium: 214mg
- Calcium: 11mg
- 1 package dry yeast (about 2 1/4 teaspoons)
- 1 cup warm water (100° to 110°)
- 3 cups bread flour, divided
- 1 tablespoon extravirgin olive oil
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- Cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- Dissolve yeast in 1 cup warm water in a large bowl; let stand 5 minutes.
- Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife. Add 2 3/4 cups flour, oil, and salt to yeast mixture, and stir until a soft dough forms. Turn dough out onto a floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic (about 8 minutes); add enough of remaining flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, to prevent the dough from sticking to hands (dough will feel tacky).
- Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 45 minutes or until doubled in size. (Gently press 2 fingers into dough. If indentation remains, dough has risen enough.)
- Punch dough down. Cover and let rest 5 minutes. Shape dough into a 21-inch rope; place on a baking sheet sprinkled with cornmeal. (If your pan is not long enough, form the rope into a slight semicircle until it fits.)
- Using a pair of sharp scissors held almost horizontally, make diagonal cuts about three-fourths of the way through the dough, leaving about 1 1/2 inches between the cuts. The cuts will form triangular pieces; gently pull all these pieces away from the center on alternating sides.
- Combine 1 teaspoon water and egg white, stirring with a whisk. Combine the poppy, sesame, and mustard seeds. Brush dough evenly with egg white mixture, and sprinkle evenly with seeds. Cover and let rise 30 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Uncover dough, and bake at 400°for 20 minutes or until the bread is browned on bottom and sounds hollow when tapped. Remove from pan, and cool on a wire rack.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note