Three-Grain Cereal with Dates and Cinnamon
Photo: David Malosh
More From Food & Wine
Total: 40 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 260
- Fat: 2g
- Saturated fat: 0g
- Carbohydrate: 55g
- Fiber: 8g
- Protein: 7g
- 1/3 cup pearled barley
- 1/4 cup quinoa
- Kosher salt
- 6 ounces (about 8 dates with pits) Medjool dates
- Boiling water
- 1 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1 pinch of cinnamon
- In a medium saucepan of salted boiling water, cook the pearled barley over moderate heat for about 30 minutes, until tender. Drain the barley in a colander and shake off all of the excess water.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the quinoa, 1/2 cup of water and a pinch of salt and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer over low heat until the water is absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- In a small, heatproof bowl, cover the dates with boiling water and let stand for 1 minute. Drain the dates in a colander and let them cool. Peel and pit the dates and chop them into 1/2-inch pieces.
- In another medium saucepan, bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Add the oats and a pinch of salt and cook over moderate heat for 4 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the cooked barley and quinoa, cinnamon and half of the chopped dates and cook, stirring, until thickened, about 3 minutes. Spoon the cereal into bowls, sprinkle with the remaining dates and serve.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note