This is by far the best scalloped potato recipe I've used. I think it's the pre-cooking of the potatoes. Most recipes the potatoes never seem to be done but this one they're just right. I add more garlic, atleast 1 cup more sharp cheddar and about 1/2 cup more of cream. Great make ahead recipe.
Three-Cheese Scalloped Potatoes
Photo: Mark Thomas; Styling: Gerri Williams
More From Allyou
Amount per serving
- Calories: 408
- Fat: 26g
- Saturated fat: 16g
- Protein: 14g
- Carbohydrate: 30g
- Fiber: 2g
- Cholesterol: 92mg
- Sodium: 647mg
- Salt and pepper
- 4 pounds baking potatoes, scrubbed
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Gruyère (about 5 1/2 oz.)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 3 bay leaves
- 1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes and cook, removing when not quite tender, 25 to 30 minutes. Drain and set aside until potatoes are cool enough to handle.
- 2. In a small skillet, melt 1 Tbsp. butter over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 6 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 2 minutes longer. Transfer to a medium bowl and let cool.
- 3. Preheat oven to 350ºF and line a large baking sheet with foil. Generously butter a 9-by-13-inch baking dish and place it on lined baking sheet. Add Gruyère, Cheddar, Parmesan, thyme, 2 tsp. salt and 1 tsp. pepper to onion mixture and stir until well combined.
- 4. Peel and slice potatoes 1/4-inch thick. Arrange 1/3 of potatoes in baking dish, overlapping where necessary, and sprinkle with 1/3 of cheese mixture. Repeat layering twice, finishing with cheese. Pour cream over all potatoes and press bay leaves on top. Bake until cream is mostly absorbed and top is golden brown and bubbling, about 1 hour 15 minutes. Remove bay leaves. Let cool for 10 minutes and serve.
Also featured in: Homemade for the Holidays SIP, All You, December 2013
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Casseroles