this was very good!! made as written, except for using regular cheddar and adding a little onion powder. i think the leftovers will be tasty when the flavors blend. have a standard mac n cheese recipe (from mom!) but it's good to have another one for variation!
Three-Cheese Pasta Bake
More From Southern Living
Bake: 15 Minutes
- 1 (8-oz.) package penne pasta
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 1/2 cup (4 oz.) shredded white Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup (8 oz.) shredded Gruyère cheese, divided*
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Prepare pasta according to package directions.
- 2. Meanwhile, melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in flour; cook, whisking constantly, 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk and half-and-half; cook, whisking constantly, 3 to 5 minutes or until thickened. Stir in Cheddar cheese, Parmesan cheese, 1/2 cup Gruyère cheese, and next 3 ingredients until smooth.
- 3. Stir together pasta and cheese mixture, and pour into 4 lightly greased 8-oz. baking dishes or 1 lightly greased 11- x 7-inch baking dish. (If using 8-oz. baking dishes, place in a jelly-roll pan for easy baking, and proceed as directed.) Top with remaining 1/2 cup Gruyère cheese.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until golden and bubbly.
- *Swiss cheese may be substituted.
- Note: To make ahead, proceed with recipe as directed through Step 3. (Do not top with remaining Gruyère cheese.) Cover and chill up to 8 hours. Let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Bake at 350° for 20 to 25 minutes or until bubbly. Increase oven temperature to 400°. Top pasta mixture with remaining Gruyère cheese, and bake 10 more minutes or until golden.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note