Seriously one of the best, "Grown-up" versions I've ever had! I made it exactly as written. Wouldn't change a thing!
Three-Cheese Macaroni and Cheese
Try this rich and creamy three-cheese macaroni and cheese for the ultimate feel-good meal.
"If I go more than a day or two without pasta, watch out, because I get nasty," jokes one CookingLight.com user. Other users admit hankering for high-quality cheese. Keep a close eye on the flour while it cooks so it doesn't burn. For a weeknight supper, bake the macaroni in an 8-inch square baking dish for 35 minutes.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 321
- Calories from fat: 28%
- Fat: 9.9g
- Saturated fat: 5.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.9g
- Protein: 17.4g
- Carbohydrate: 40.8g
- Fiber: 2.4g
- Cholesterol: 26mg
- Iron: 1.5mg
- Sodium: 487mg
- Calcium: 332mg
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion (about 1 medium)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1/2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni (about 8 ounces)
- Cooking spray
- 2/3 cup (about 2 1/2 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2/3 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1. Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion to pan; cook 8 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add flour and garlic; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in milk and bay leaf; bring to a boil. Cook 2 minutes or until thick, stirring constantly with a whisk. Add Gorgonzola, 1/2 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano, and salt; stir until cheeses melt. Discard bay leaf.
- 2. Preheat oven to 375°.
- 3. Cook pasta in boiling water 5 minutes or until almost tender, omitting salt and fat; drain well. Add pasta to cheese mixture, stirring well. Place about 1/2 cup pasta mixture into each of 6 (1-cup) ramekins coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle evenly with mozzarella. Top evenly with remaining pasta mixture. Combine remaining 1/4 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano and panko; sprinkle evenly over pasta mixture. Spray lightly with cooking spray; sprinkle with black pepper. Bake at 375° for 25 minutes or until heated.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note