Three-Cheese Lasagna with Spinach & Bolognese Sauce
This lasagna is quite filling but won't leave you feeling stuffed. To make ahead, layer lasagna, top with cheese, then cover and chill until ready to bake. Use potato ricer for removing excess water from spinach. Use kitchen shears to cut lasagna sheets to fit each layer. Reserve cut away pieces for top layer.
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 9 dry whole wheat lasagna sheets
- 1 pound(s) frozen spinach
- 3/4 pound(s) ground beef sirloin
- 2 teaspoon(s) canola oil
- 1/2 cup(s) each chopped onion, carrot and celery
- 8 ounce(s) fresh button mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 can(s) diced tomatoes (14.5 ozs) well drained
- 1 tablespoon(s) dried italian herbs
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) black pepper
- 2 cup(s) shredded part-skim mozzarella, divided, 8 oz
- 1 can(s) low sodium tomato sauce divided 8oz
- 1 1/2 cup(s) cottage cheese (12oz)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup(s) shredded Parmesan
- Preheat over to 375 degrees.
- For the Lasagna bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add lasagan sheets to boiling water, a few at a time. Remove cooked lasagna sheets to a straner as they soften, after about 8 mins. When all lasagna sheets have been cooked and removed, blanch spinach in the same water for 1 minute.
- Drain spinach and let cool slightly. Remove excess water by using potato ricer.
- For the bolognese, brown beef in oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; drain. Return beef to skillet.
- Mince onion, carrot, celery, mushrooms, and garlic for the bolognese in a food processor; add to browned meat in skillet. Cook until vegetables soften, 5 mins
- Strain beef misture to remove excess liquid; return to skillet. Stir in tomatoes, hergs, pepper flakes, salt and black pepper.
- Spread 2 tbsp tomato sauce in the bottom of an 8", 2qt square baking dish. Add remaining tomato sauce to bolognese; still until all combined. Remove sauce from heat; set aside.
- For the cheese sauce, pulse cottage cheese, 1 cup mozzarella, and the egg in a food processor until smooth, set aside.
- Layer 4 lasagna sheets over the tomato sauce in the dish, overlapping sheets and cutting ends to fit. Reserve cut pieces for top layer. Spread 1/3 of the sauce over the sheets; top with half of the cheese sauce followed by half of the spinach.
- Repeat layers with 4 more sheets, layering in the opposite direction and cutting sheets to fit. Top with another 1/3 of the bolognese, remaining cheese sauce, and remaining spinach. Tope with remaining whole sheet and cut sheets. Top with remaining bolognese, remaining 1 cup mozzarella, and Parmesan. Bake lasagna until topping is browned, 25 mins.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by Patsychef and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Three-Cheese Lasagna with Spinach & Bolognese Sauce Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Main Dishes