This recipe would be a winner if it included salt and pepper, which every non-dessert recipe should include in my opinion. I loved this when I made it, the only changes I made was; I sauteed the peppers and onions until very soft before adding the mushrooms, and after adding the spinach I added salt and pepper but omitted the oregano I don't think it needs it. I also left the cottage cheese whole and used whole wheat penne. I will be making this again!
Three-Cheese Chicken Penne Florentine
Fresh spinach, chicken, and a combination of cheeses make this pasta dish comforting enough for the last days of winter yet fresh enough for the first days of spring. Serve family style or portion out in individual ramekins. Either way, this penne pasta casserole is definitely worth sharing.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 345
- Calories from fat: 25%
- Fat: 9.7g
- Saturated fat: 5.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1g
- Protein: 31.7g
- Carbohydrate: 32.9g
- Fiber: 2.1g
- Cholesterol: 56mg
- Iron: 2mg
- Sodium: 532mg
- Calcium: 275mg
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Cooking spray
- 3 cups thinly sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 3 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (16-ounce) carton 2% low-fat cottage cheese
- 4 cups hot cooked penne (about 8 ounces uncooked tube-shaped pasta)
- 2 cups shredded roasted skinless, boneless chicken breast
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup 2% reduced-fat milk
- 1 (10 3/4-ounce) can condensed reduced-fat, reduced-sodium cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, onion, and bell pepper; sauté 4 minutes or until tender. Add spinach, oregano, and black pepper; sauté 3 minutes or just until spinach wilts.
- Place cottage cheese in a food processor; process until very smooth. Combine spinach mixture, cottage cheese, pasta, chicken, 3/4 cup cheddar cheese, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, milk, and soup in a large bowl. Spoon mixture into a 2-quart baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup cheddar cheese and remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Bake at 425° for 25 minutes or until lightly browned and bubbly.
You can cook the pasta mixture in individual eight-ounce ramekins; bake for 15 minutes.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This