Very good when you're craving something with fewer fat and calories than a restaurant pasta dish. If using GF noodles, be sure they are very al dente before putting the pasta in the oven. I like to spice up the sauce with cayenne and mustard powder. I skip the breadcrumbs, but that's personal preference.
Three-Cheese Baked Penne
Photo: Oxmoor House
More From Oxmoor House
Amount per serving
- Calories: 493
- Fat: 14.5g
- Saturated fat: 7.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Protein: 23.4g
- Carbohydrate: 67.1g
- Fiber: 2.1g
- Cholesterol: 40mg
- Iron: 3.8mg
- Sodium: 308mg
- Calcium: 767mg
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped onion (about 1 medium)
- 1 (12-ounce) package gluten-free brown rice penne (such as Tinkyada)
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 4 cups 1% low-fat milk, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon grated whole nutmeg
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup panko-style breadcrumbs (such as Kinnikinnick)
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°.
- 2. Heat oil in a medium Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion; cook 5 minutes or until tender, stirring often.
- 3. While onion cooks, cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain.
- 4. Combine cornstarch and 1/2 cup milk in a small bowl. Add remaining 3 1/2 cups milk to onion; bring to a boil. Gradually stir in cornstarch mixture. Cook 2 minutes or until sauce thickens, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, and stir in salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Add cheddar and mozzarella cheeses, stirring with a whisk until cheeses melt. Stir in pasta. Pour pasta mixture evenly into 6 (2-cup) gratin dishes or ramekins coated with cooking spray.
- 5. Combine Parmesan cheese and breadcrumbs; sprinkle over pasta mixture. Bake at 375° for 30 minutes or until sauce is bubbly and top is brown.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes