Three-Bean Chili with Spring Pesto
More From Real Simple
Amount per serving
- Calories: 408
- Calories from fat: 49%
- Fat: 22g
- Saturated fat: 3g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 1384mg
- Carbohydrate: 43g
- Fiber: 11g
- Protein: 11g
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes, including liquid
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 1 15.5-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 15.5-ounce can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15.5-ounce can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts, chopped
- 1 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- Crusty bread (optional)
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and carrots and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes and their liquid, 2 cups water, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper and bring to a boil. Add the chickpeas and beans and cook until heated through, about 3 minutes.
Combine the garlic, pine nuts, parsley, the remaining olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper in a small bowl.
Divide the chili among individual bowls and top with the pesto. Serve with the bread, if desired.
Shortcut: Instead of chopping the garlic, pine nuts, and parsley by hand, pulse them in a food processor before adding the oil.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note