- 1 tablespoon plus 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes, including liquid
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 1 15.5-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 15.5-ounce can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15.5-ounce can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts, chopped
- 1 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- Crusty bread (optional)
- calories 408
- caloriesfromfat 49 %
- fat 22 g
- satfat 3 g
- cholesterol 0 mg
- sodium 1384 mg
- carbohydrate 43 g
- fiber 11 g
- protein 11 g
How to Make It
Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and carrots and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes and their liquid, 2 cups water, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper and bring to a boil. Add the chickpeas and beans and cook until heated through, about 3 minutes.
Combine the garlic, pine nuts, parsley, the remaining olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper in a small bowl.
Divide the chili among individual bowls and top with the pesto. Serve with the bread, if desired.
Shortcut: Instead of chopping the garlic, pine nuts, and parsley by hand, pulse them in a food processor before adding the oil.