Tom Kha Gai (Spicy Coconut Chicken Soup) is one of THE most delicious Asian soups I have ever tasted! It contains lots of flavors that can titillate all of the taste bud receptors found on the human tongue (sweet, sour, salty and spicy)! This soup can be found at most Thai restaurants, but isn't very cheap and can easily be replicated at home by just about anyone who enjoys cooking at home and trying new dishes. MIKEEMO accidentally left off that the 1 stalk (ingredient #3 on the list) referred to in this recipe is 1 stalk of Lemongrass, which can be substituted with a few dashes of lemon flavoring (juice or powder), but Lemongrass is best. Also, MIKEEMO's version of this recipe is the simplest and cheapest for Tom Kha Gai I have found, yet is just as tasty as the authentic ones. For those of you who would like the more authentic and more expensive version of Tom Kha Gai, please see Jiranooch Shapiro's (Anchorage, AK) recipe also found on this web site posted in December of 2008.
Thom Kha Gai -- Thai Coconut Soup
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- See below:
- 2 c Low salt chicken broth
- 14 oz Unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 stalk (optional, available in Asian markets)
- 1 lg Chicken boneless breast half
- 1 tb (or more) lime juice
- 1/2 Jalapeno or Serrano chili, seeded and minced
- 2 tb chopped fresh cilantro
- Dash red hot pepper sauce
- Bring first 3 ingredients to boil in heavy medium saucepan. Reduce heat, add chicken and simmer until almost cooked through, turning occasionally, about 12 minutes. Transfer chicken to plate; cool. Cut meat into 1/2 inch pieces. Add 1 tsp lime juice and jalapeno to soup and simmer until reduced by 1/2 cup, about 20 minutes. Add chicken and simmer just to heat through.
- Taste, adding more lime juice if desired. Remove as much of the lemon grass as possible. Ladle soup into bowls. Sprinkle with fresh cilantro and dash hot pepper sauce.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by mikeemo and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note