Thin Salt-and-Pepper Breadsticks
Photo: Leigh Beisch; Styling: Dan Becker
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 89
- Calories from fat: 20%
- Protein: 2.3g
- Fat: 2g
- Saturated fat: 0.3g
- Carbohydrate: 15g
- Fiber: 0.6g
- Sodium: 147mg
- Cholesterol: 4mg
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 3/4 teaspoon table salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- About 2 3/4 cups flour, divided
- 1 to 2 tbsp. beaten egg (from 1 large egg)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons medium-grain sel gris or fleur de sel, or kosher salt (see Notes)
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground coarse black pepper
- 1. In the bowl of a stand mixer or a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in 1 cup warm water (110°), about 5 minutes.
- 2. Add table salt, olive oil, and 1 1/2 cups flour. Beat with a paddle attachment at medium speed or a wooden spoon until dough is stretchy, 1 to 2 minutes. Mix in enough additional flour to make a soft dough, a little more than 1 cup. Knead with a dough hook, or by hand on a floured work surface, adding flour as needed to prevent sticking, until dough is smooth, springy, and no longer sticky, 8 to 12 minutes.
- 3. Sprinkle a 10-in.-square work surface with 1/4 cup flour and turn dough out onto it. Pat dough into an even 6-in. square. Loosely cover with a towel and let stand until puffy, 45 to 50 minutes.
- 4. Preheat oven to 350°. Line 2 rimmed baking sheets (each 12 by 17 in.) with parchment paper. With a sharp knife, cut dough vertically into 4 strips. Working with 1 quarter at a time, cut vertically again into 8 pieces, sprinkling knife with flour if dough sticks. Pick up 1 piece and stretch it to the length of the pan, then set in pan. Repeat with remaining pieces, arranging them slightly apart.
- 5. Gently brush breadsticks with egg to coat, then sprinkle with sel gris and pepper.
- 6. Bake breadsticks until golden and crisp in thickest parts, 45 to 50 minutes; halfway through, gently separate any stuck-together breadsticks, and switch pan positions if using 1 oven.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per 2-breadstick serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This