I thought this Kugel worked well. I lightened it slightly - I used cooking spray instead of oil, and I only used two eggs (and I think more potatoes). I think I overbaked it a tad, but it was still crispy and delicious; I will make this again at the holidays.
Thin Potato Kugel
We recommend thoroughly washing and scrubbing potatoes before peeling to remove any dirt or grit.
This recipe goes with Mini Salmon Croquettes
More From Southern Living
Bake: 30 Minutes
Cool: 5 Minutes
- 4 medium-size baking potatoes (about 2 lb.), peeled
- 1 medium onion, peeled
- 2 large carrots, peeled
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/3 cup unsalted matzo meal
- 1. Preheat oven to 425°. Grate potato, onion, and carrot through large holes of a box grater; toss with lemon juice. Spread mixture onto layers of paper towels or a cloth towel. Roll up towel, starting at 1 short side. Squeeze towel to absorb excess liquid. Place potato mixture in a large bowl.
- 2. Brush olive oil on bottom and up sides of a 15- x 10-inch jelly-roll pan. Heat pan in 425° oven 5 minutes.
- 3. Meanwhile, whisk together eggs and next 3 ingredients in a small bowl. Place matzo meal in a fine wire-mesh strainer. Rinse matzo meal under running water, shaking strainer gently until mixture forms a ball. Whisk into egg mixture.
- 4. Stir egg mixture into potato mixture until well combined. Carefully spoon potato mixture into hot jelly-roll pan. Press mixture in an even layer, using a spatula.
- 5. Bake at 425° for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown and crisp. Remove from oven to wire rack, and let cool 5 minutes. Cut into pieces before serving.
- Note: Thin Potato Kugel can be made ahead. Prepare as directed, and cover and chill up to 2 days.
- Thin Sweet Potato Kugel: Substitute 4 medium-size sweet potatoes (about 2 lb.) for baking potatoes. Omit lemon juice. Proceed with recipe as directed, whisking 1/4 tsp. ground thyme into eggs in Step 3.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note