I love this recipe for many reasons. The obvious is they are delicious and they are exactly as I hoped. Secondly, there is no white sugar. Lastly there is just baking soda, and no baking powder. The recipe as written is spot on, its so easy to throw together and fun to do with my 3 year old son! This is my staple recipe for chocolate chip cookies. I used a large cookie scoop, slightly overfilled. My cookies were perfect sized and filled my cookie jar to the brim, they never last long.
Thick, Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
If you're of the school that thinks chocolate chip cookies should be soft and chewy, you'll love this recipe. If not, these cookies will change your mind.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 208
- Calories from fat: 48%
- Protein: 2.1g
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated fat: 6.3g
- Carbohydrate: 28g
- Fiber: 0.3g
- Sodium: 165mg
- Cholesterol: 34mg
- 1 cup (1/2 lb.) butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips (12 oz.)
- 1 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- 1. In a bowl, with an electric mixer on medium speed, beat butter and brown sugar until well blended. Beat in eggs and vanilla until smooth, scraping down sides of bowl as needed.
- 2. In another bowl, mix flour, baking soda, and salt. Stir or beat into butter mixture until well incorporated. Stir in chocolate chips and pecans, if using.
- 3. Drop dough in 2-tablespoon (1/8-cup) portions, 2 inches apart, onto buttered 12- by 15-inch baking sheets.
- 4. Bake in a 400° oven until cookies are lightly browned and no longer wet in the center (break one open to check), 6 to 8 minutes; if baking more than one pan at a time, switch pan positions halfway through baking.
- 5. With a wide spatula, transfer cookies to racks to cool. If hot cookies start to break, slide a thin spatula under them to release; let stand on pan to firm up, 2 to 5 minutes, then transfer to racks to cool completely.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per cookie.
- Note: Store these cookies airtight for up to 2 days.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note