"The Original" Old-Fashioned Cheesecake
Yield: 16 to 20 servings
- 1 (6-ounce) package zwieback toast, crushed
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 4 cups small-curd cottage cheese
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 (16-ounce) carton commercial sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 6 eggs, beaten
- Grated rind and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dash of salt
- Combine toast crumbs, 1 cup sugar, cinnamon, and butter; mix well. Firmly press mixture into bottom and sides of a 9- inch Spring-form pan; set aside.
- Place half of cottage cheese in container of an electric blender; blend until smooth, turning blender off every 15 seconds to scrape sides with a rubber spatula. Repeat procedure with remaining cottage cheese.
- Combine cottage cheese and cream cheese in a large mixing bowl; beat at medium speed of electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add remaining ingredients, beating until fluffy.
- Pour mixture into prepared crust. Bake at 325° for 1 hour. Turn oven off. Leaving oven door closed, allow cheesecake to remain in oven 1 hour. Remove from oven, and let cool to room temperature. Loosely cover, and refrigerate overnight. Remove sides of Springform pan before serving.
- Alternate Method: To prepare cheesecake using a food processor, position knife blade in food processor bowl; add cottage cheese. Process 3 to 5 seconds. Stop processor, and scrape sides of bowl with a rubber spatula. Process 3 to 5 additional seconds or until cottage cheese is smooth and creamy. Add cream cheese; repeat processing procedure until mixture is smooth and creamy.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts