These were such a nice change up! Made several substitutions but the essence was still there: sub lean elk burger, havarti cheese and regular sesame buns. The soy sauce in the burger was one of my favorite flavors - subtle but definitely there.
The Hatch Burger
Photo: Iain Bagwell; Styling: Emma Star Jensen
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 800
- Calories from fat: 56%
- Protein: 42g
- Fat: 50g
- Saturated fat: 20g
- Carbohydrate: 46g
- Fiber: 2.3g
- Sodium: 1707mg
- Cholesterol: 159mg
- 3 Anaheim chiles
- 3 poblano chiles
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef (80% lean)
- About 1/4 cup butter
- 4 slightly sweet rolls, such as Hawaiian sandwich or Kaiser
- 4 to 6 tsp. soy sauce
- 4 slices white American cheese
- 1. Broil chiles on a rimmed baking sheet, turning as needed, until blackened on all sides, about 10 minutes. Let cool. Peel, then cut open and remove stem and seeds. Finely chop chiles. Put in a medium bowl and stir in 1/4 tsp. salt. Mix mayonnaise with garlic in another medium bowl.
- 2. Heat a grill or griddle to medium (350° to 450°). Mix beef with remaining 1/2 tsp. salt in a large bowl until just combined. Divide into 4 portions and form each into a 1/2-in.-thick patty with a slight depression in the center.
- 3. Oil cooking grate or griddle with a wad of oiled paper towels. Grill burgers, turning once and sprinkling with about 1/2 tsp. soy sauce on each side, until done the way you like, 7 to 8 minutes for medium. During the last minute, lay a cheese slice on each burger to melt it.
- 4. Meanwhile, lightly butter cut sides of rolls and toast on grill or griddle, about 2 minutes.
- 5. Spread garlic mayo on cut sides of rolls. Add burgers, topping each with about 2 tbsp. chile mixture.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Sandwiches