Made with regular beef hotdog but really how could this be bad - hotdog, onion, cheese and bacon? Received raves at recent tail gate.
The Cowboy Hot Dog
Photo: Annabelle Breakey; Food Styling: Robyn Valarik
This combo of bison hot dogs, bacon, barbecue sauce, and caramelized onions is hearty enough to fuel a day out on the range.
Yield: Serves 4
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 633
- Calories from fat: 63%
- Protein: 17g
- Fat: 44g
- Saturated fat: 13g
- Carbohydrate: 9.5g
- Fiber: 1.7g
- Sodium: 1111mg
- Cholesterol: 69mg
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, cut into half moons
- 4 bison hot dogs*
- 4 potato hot dog buns
- About 6 tbsp. mayonnaise
- About 2 tbsp. spicy brown mustard, such as Gulden's
- About 4 tbsp. barbecue sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded white cheddar cheese
- 6 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
- 1. Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat, add onion, and cook until deep golden and very tender, stirring frequently, about 20 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, heat grill to medium (350° to 450°). Grill hot dogs until slightly charred all over, about 6 minutes, turning occasionally. Add buns and grill, turning frequently, until warmed and lightly charred, about 3 minutes.
- 3. Spread buns with mayonnaise and drizzle with mustard and barbecue sauce. Set hot dogs in buns.
- 4. Sprinkle cheese on top, followed by caramelized onions and bacon.
- *Find bison hot dogs at highplainsbison.com or Whole Foods Market.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note