Delicious, easy (in spite of the list of ingredients, they all just get put into the pot) and perfect for meatless mondays. Have made this numerous times and it always gets rave reviews!
The BEST Vegetable Barley Soup
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 2 quart(s) vegetable broth
- 1 cup(s) uncooked barley
- 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 stalk(s) celery, chopped
- 1 can(s) 28-oz diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 can(s) 15-oz cannellini beans (white kidney beans), drained
- 1 package(s) frozen chopped spinach
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon(s) white sugar
- 1 teaspoon(s) garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon(s) dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon(s) curry powder
- 1 teaspoon(s) paprika
- 1 teaspoon(s) worchestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup(s) parmesan cheese, grated (optional)
- 1. Pour the vegetable broth into a large pot. Add the barley, carrots, celery, tomatoes (with juices), frozen spinach, cannellini beans, onion and bay leaves. Season with garlic powder, sugar, salt, pepper, parsley, curry powder, paprika and worcestershire sauce.
- 2. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer over medium-low heat for 90 minutes. The soup will be very thick. You may adjust by adding more broth or water if desired.
- 3. Remove bay leaves and stir in parmesan cheese before serving.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by 22Janet and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note