The Bacon Chicken
A whole roasting chicken wrapped in bacon and roasted over a bed of cabbage. The bacon crisps up like a second skin! Not to be missed.
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 1 whole(s) Chicken
- 10 strip(s) Bacon halved
- 1 whole(s) Lemon halved
- 1 whole(s) onion quartered
- 1 sprig(s) rosemary
- 6 clove(s) garlic halved
- 1 tablespoon(s) salt
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) pepper
- 1/2 head(s) cabbage sliced
- Halve the lemon and garlic cloves, quarter the onion (don’t worry about peeling)
- Pat the outside of the chicken dry with a towel
- Sprinkle salt and pepper inside the chicken cavity and over the skin
- Stuff cavity with the lemon, onion, garlic and rosemary
- Place bacon slices over entire exposed surface of chicken, wrapping evenly in a single layer – ensuring no chicken skin is left exposed (Kids LOVE doing this!) – if your bacon doesn’t stick then pat dry again and start over
- Spread sliced cabbage around bottom of a baking dish (no fat, no seasoning – trust us), set chicken on top of cabbage (a dutch oven or 12-14? diameter cast iron pan works well)
- Roast uncovered at 400 degrees for 90 minutes or until chicken is cooked through, shake pan to stir cabbage every 20 minutes to prevent burning
This recipe is a personal recipe added by PaleoParents and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note