The Artisan Hot Dog
Everything about this dog is conscientiously crafted by independent producers, from the nitrate-free dogs to the naturally cultured small-batch kraut and artisan gouda cheese.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 552
- Calories from fat: 37%
- Protein: 21g
- Fat: 23g
- Saturated fat: 9g
- Carbohydrate: 63g
- Fiber: 3g
- Sodium: 1740mg
- Cholesterol: 51mg
- 4 locally made nitrate-free beef hot dogs
- 4 unsalted pretzel buns*, each about 6 in. long, or 2 unsalted pretzel baguettes cut on the diagonal to make 4 buns
- 1/2 cup shredded cumin gouda cheese, such as Willamette Valley Cheese Co.'s*, at room temperature
- 4 tablespoons craft-beer mustard, such as Sierra Nevada's Porter & Spicy Brown Mustard
- 1 cup spicy sauerkraut, such as Farmhouse Culture Smoked Jalapeño Kraut*, warmed
- 1. Heat grill to medium (350° to 450°). Grill dogs until slightly charred all over, about 6 minutes, turning occasionally.
- 2. Meanwhile, cut pretzel buns horizontally partway through. Sprinkle cheese into buns, dividing evenly; then grill buns until warmed, lightly charred, and cheese has mostly melted, about 4 minutes.
- 3. Spread mustard inside buns, add dogs, and top with sauerkraut.
- *Find pretzel buns and baguettes and Farmhouse Culture Kraut at Whole Foods Market and other specialty grocery stores. Farmhouse Culture Kraut is also available at farmhouseculture.com. See wvcheeseco.com for where to buy Willamette Valley Cheese Co.'s cumin gouda.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note