Thanksgiving Roast Turkey
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 1 Yellow Onion
- 1 sprig(s) Parsley
- 2 teaspoon(s) Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) Thyme
- 1 quart(s) Water
- 1 Fresh Turkey 18lbs
- 1 Lemon
- 1 package(s) Salt Pork or Bacon Rind
- 2 stick(s) Unsalted Butter
- 4 tablespoon(s) Flour
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Remove the neck from the bird if not already done, and put it in a 2-quart saucepan with the liver, gizzard, heart, and the onion, parsley, 2 teaspoons salt, and the thyme. Add the water, bring to a boil, and boil 5 minutes, after which reduce the heat and simmer, covered, 1 hour. Drain and reserve for the sauce. If you like, chop the gizzard, heart, and liver to add to the sauce.
- Rub the inside of the turkey with the lemon, and dry with paper towels. Fill the body cavity and neck cavity with stuffing, but not too tightly - the crumbs should remain somewhat loose.
- Massage the turkey well with softened butter, then salt and pepper it. Line a rack with strips of fresh or salt pork or with the rind of bacon. Set the rack in a roasting pan, and place the turkey breast side down on the rack. Roast 1 hour at 350 degrees.
- Remove the pan from the oven, turn the turkey on one side, and rub with softened butter. Return the turkey to the oven and roast another hour. Remove the pan, turn the turkey on its other side, and rub with butter. Roast for another hour, turn the turkey on its back, and rub the breast with butter. Return to the oven and continue roasting till the turkey tests done.
- Remove from the oven and place on a platter. Immediately remove the stuffing. Allow it to rest 15 minutes if being served hot. If being served tepid, let it cool gently at room temperature.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by KNewman430 and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note