Thanksgiving Pot Pie
Working toward her masters in social work, Adrianne Dickson, who won first place in VT's 2009 Reader Recipe Contest for this recipe, still finds time to read cookbooks for fun. I first developed this recipe while living in Montana after my boyfriend told me he loved pot pie, she explains. I started making the crust in a bag when we were working as raft guides and didnt have any place to roll out a crust.
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- * 2 medium potatoes, diced (2 cups)
- * 2 large carrots, sliced (1 cup)
- * 3 Tbs. olive oil, divided
- * 1 16-oz. pkg. firm tofu, drained and cut into cubes
- * 1/4 cup plus 2 Tbs. San-J Tamari Soy Sauce, divided
- * 1/2 tsp. granulated garlic, divided
- * 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper, divided
- * 2 cups sliced button mushrooms
- * 1 large onion, diced (2 cups)
- * 1 cup chopped broccoli florets
- * 2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp.)
- * 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- * 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- * 1/2 cup plain soymilk
- * 3 Tbs. red wine
- * 1 Tbs. chopped fresh thyme
- * 1 Tbs. chopped fresh sage
- * 1 tsp. hoisin sauce
- * 1/2tsp. vegan Worcestershire sauce
- * 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- * 1/2 tsp. salt
- * 1/2 cup nonhydrogenated vegetable shortening
- * 1 tsp. chopped fresh rosemary
- * 1 tsp. chopped fresh sage
- 1. To make Filling: Cook potatoes and carrots in large pot of boiling salted water 10 minutes, or until just tender. Drain, and set aside.
- 2. Heat 1 Tbs. oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Add tofu, and cook 5 minutes, or until tofu begins to brown. Stir in 2 Tbs. tamari, 1/4 tsp. granulated garlic, and 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper, and cook until all liquid has evaporated.
- 3. Heat 1 Tbs. oil in skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add mushrooms, and cook 2 minutes. Add onion, broccoli, and garlic, and saut 6 to 7 minutes, or until onions begin to soften.
- 4. Push veggies to side of Dutch oven. Add remaining 1 Tbs. oil to bottom of pot. Stir flour into oil with fork to make roux; stir until smooth. Stir roux into vegetables.
- 5. Stir broth into vegetables. Once gravy is smooth, add tofu, potatoes, carrots, soymilk, remaining 1/4 cup tamari, and wine. Stir gently, then add thyme, sage, hoisin sauce, Worcestershire sauce, remaining 1/4 tsp. granulated garlic, and remaining 1/8 tsp. cayenne. Remove from heat, and set aside, or transfer vegetables to large casserole dish.
- 6. To make Crust: Preheat oven to 375F. Mix together flour, salt, and shortening with fork or pastry blender until mixture is crumbly. Stir in up to 4 Tbs. cold water, if necessary, for dough to stick together. Gently knead rosemary and sage into dough, and shape dough into ball. Place dough ball in plastic bag, and push out from center of ball to shape dough to size of Dutch oven or casserole dish. Remove dough from bag, and lay over vegetable filling in Dutch oven or casserole dish. Poke holes in dough to allow steam to escape. Bake 45 minutes, or until Crust is golden brown. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by mario8723 and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note