- 2 1/2 pounds ripe yellow tomatoes, cored and quartered
- 3/4 cup seasoned rice vinegar
- 5 kaffir lime leaves or 2 tsp. finely shredded lime zest
- 2 stalks lemongrass, chopped
- 1 cup peeled green or half-ripe papaya cut in 1/4-in. dice
- 1/2 English cucumber, peeled and cut in 1/4-in. dice
- 1/4 cup minced red onion
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh galangal or ginger
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped mint leaves
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped Thai basil or regular basil leaves
- 1/2 to 1 tbsp. Sriracha
- Thai or Vietnamese fish sauce or kosher salt
- calories 91
- caloriesfromfat 5.9 %
- protein 2.4 g
- fat 0.6 g
- satfat 0.1 g
- carbohydrate 21 g
- fiber 1 g
- sodium 698 mg
- cholesterol 0.0 mg
How to Make It
In a food processor, pulse 1/3 of tomatoes at a time until finely chopped. Pour into a bowl.
In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine vinegar, lime leaves, and lemongrass. Bring to a simmer, then remove from heat and stir into tomato mixture. Chill about 2 hours to blend flavors. Press mixture through a coarse strainer into another bowl and discard contents of strainer.
Stir remaining ingredients into tomato mixture, adding Sriracha and fish sauce to taste. Chill until cold and flavors are blended, at least 30 minutes and as long as overnight.
Note: Nutritional analysis is per 1-cup serving.