- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1/4 pound green beans, ends and strings removed, minced
- 8 green onions, ends trimmed, minced
- 1 stalk (5 to 8 in.) fresh lemon grass, tough outer layers, stem end, and coarse leaves removed, minced
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 2 to 3 teaspoons fresh serrano chilies (2 or 3), stemmed, seeded, and finely minced
- 2 tablespoons Asian fish sauce (nuoc mam or nam pla)
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- About 2 tablespoons olive oil
- calories 73
- caloriesfromfat 53 %
- protein 5.9 g
- fat 4.3 g
- satfat 0.9 g
- carbohydrate 2.4 g
- fiber 0.3 g
- sodium 107 mg
- cholesterol 34 mg
How to Make It
At home: Mix turkey well with beans, onions, lemon grass, cilantro, chilies (lesser amount for mildest flavor), fish sauce, egg, cornstarch, and sugar. Divide into 16 equal portions and shape into 16 patties, each 1/2 inch thick.
Pour oil into a 10- to 12-inch nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat. When hot, add a few patties, without crowding. Cook until brown on each side and no longer pink in center (cut to test), about 7 minutes total. Remove as cooked and drain on paper towels; add more patties to pan.
When patties are cool, freeze in a single layer in a metal pan until hard, then seal airtight in plastic freezer bags. Transport in an insulated chest.
In camp: Place frozen patties in a 9- to 10-inch nonstick frying pan over low heat, cover, and cook until warm, 3 to 5 minutes; turn at least once.
Nutritional analysis per patty.