Thai Summer Rolls with Plum Sauce
These summer rolls make a perfect light appetizer. They are stuffed with a shrimp, vegetable, and noodle filling and dipped in a light plum sauce. Substitute tofu or cooked chicken strips for the shrimp.
More From Oxmoor House
Stand: 8 Minutes
- Calories: 139
- Fat: 4.1g
- Saturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 6.5g
- Carbohydrate: 20g
- Cholesterol: 43mg
- Iron: 1.5mg
- Sodium: 282mg
- Calories from fat: 26%
- Fiber: 1.2g
- Calcium: 22mg
- 2 ounces uncooked rice stick noodles (such as Dynasty Maifun rice stick noodles)
- 1 cup packaged cabbage-and carrot coleslaw
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 6 ounces cooked peeled medium shrimp, chopped into thirds (about 2/3 cup)
- 3 tablespoons julienne-cut fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 1 1/2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 8 (6-inch) round sheets rice paper
- Plum Sauce
- Plum Sauce
- Place rice noodles in a large bowl; cover with boiling water. Let stand 8 minutes; drain. Rinse under cold running water; drain well.
- Combine noodles, coleslaw, carrot, shrimp, basil, and mint in a large bowl; toss gently.
- Combine oil and next 4 ingredients in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Pour dressing over noodle mixture and toss gently.
- Add cold water to a large shallow dish to a depth of 1 inch. Place 1 rice paper sheet in water. Let stand about 2 minutes or until soft and pliable. (Soaking too long makes the rice paper sheets fragile. They tear easily and are difficult to work with.)
- Carefully transfer rice paper sheet to a paper towel-lined flat work surface.
- Arrange 1/3 cup filling on bottom half of softened rice paper sheet. Fold bottom of sheet over filling, pressing slightly. Fold sides of sheet over filling, overlapping in center to form a 4-inch roll. Roll up jelly roll fashion, and gently press seam to seal.
- Cut roll in half diagonally, and place, seam side down, on a serving plate. Cover with a dampened paper towel. Repeat procedure with remaining rice paper sheets and filling. Serve with Plum Sauce.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note