- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 2 small dried red chiles
- 3/4 pound haricots verts, trimmed
- 3/4 pound red Swiss chard, stems cut into 3-by- 1/4 -inch matchsticks and leaves into 2-inch pieces
- 1/2 pound shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded and caps sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup chicken stock or canned low-sodium broth
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce, preferably Squid brand, or 2 tablespoons soy sauce mixed with a pinch of sugar
How to Make It
Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large nonreactive skillet until almost smoking. Add the chiles and cook over moderately high heat until just brown, about 30 seconds. Add the beans and the Swiss chard stems and sauté until tender and charred, about 6 minutes. Transfer to a platter and discard the chiles.
Heat 2 teaspoons of the oil in the skillet. Add the shiitakes and sauté over high heat until softened and browned, about 3 minutes. Add the shiitakes to the beans.
Heat the remaining 1 teaspoon oil in the skillet. Add the garlic and cook over high heat, stirring, until fragrant but not browned, about 30 seconds. Add the Swiss chard leaves and 2 tablespoons of water and cook until wilted and tender, about 2 minutes. Return all the vegetables to the skillet and sauté until heated through. Stir in the chicken broth and fish sauce and heat through. Serve warm.
Serve With: Jasmine rice or sticky rice or as an accompaniment to chicken, pork or fish.
Notes: Fish sauce is available at Asian markets.