Thai-Style Chicken in Lettuce Leaves
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Asian sesame oil
- Four 6-ounce skinless, boneless chicken breasts, pounded to a 1/2-inch thickness
- 1 European cucumber, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 cup mung bean sprouts
- 1/4 cup mint leaves
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped roasted peanuts
- 1 head of leaf lettuce
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1. In a small saucepan, mix the vinegar with the sugar and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until the sugar dissolves. Add 1 teaspoon of the garlic and the crushed red pepper and let cool.
- 2. In a large bowl, mix 2 tablespoons of the sweet seasoned vinegar with the remaining 3 teaspoons of garlic and the soy sauce, ginger and sesame oil. Set aside 2 tablespoons of this soy marinade. Add the chicken to the remaining marinade in the bowl and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- 3. Light a grill or preheat the broiler and position a rack 6 inches from the heat. Remove the chicken from the marinade and let it drain, then grill or broil for about 2 minutes per side, until browned and cooked through. Transfer the chicken to a cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes. Cut the chicken crosswise into 1/2-inch strips and mound in a bowl.
- 4. In a medium bowl, toss the cucumber with the remaining sweet seasoned vinegar. Put the bean sprouts, mint, cilantro and peanuts in separate bowls. Arrange the lettuce leaves in a basket. Add the water to the reserved 2 tablespoons of soy marinade. Let guests wrap the chicken and garnishes in lettuce leaves and pass the soy marinade and cucumber salad separately.
- Notes: One Serving - Calories 346 kcal, Total Fat 9.0 gm, Saturated Fat 1.9 gm, Protein 44 gm, Carbohydrates 21 gm
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes