Thai Spiced Tofu
More From Real Simple
Amount per serving
- Calcium: 668mg
- Calories: 384
- Calories from fat: 1%
- Carbohydrate: 36g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Fat: 22g
- Fiber: 8g
- Iron: 5mg
- Protein: 18mg
- Saturated fat: 4g
- Sodium: 2184mg
- 8 ounces firm tofu, cut into four 1/2-inch slices*
- 3 tablespoons Thai red curry paste (found in the Asian section of most supermarkets)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce or tamari (for vegetarians who don't eat fish)
- 1/2 pound green beans
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- *Or use 4 ounces of tofu plus a tilapia fillet or a boneless, skinless chicken-breast half.
- Place the tofu between layers of paper towels and weigh them down with a heavy skillet to remove excess water. Set aside to drain for 10 minutes.
- Combine the curry paste, sugar, and fish sauce; put half this sauce in a resealable plastic bag. (If using fish or chicken, divide that half of the curry sauce between 2 bags - one for the tofu and one for the fish or chicken.) Add the tofu and fish or chicken (if using), seal, and set aside for 15 minutes. In a saucepan, combine the green beans, broth, oil, and the remaining curry. Simmer until the beans are tender, about 5 minutes. Cover to keep warm.
- Lightly coat a nonstick skillet with vegetable cooking spray and place it over medium heat. When hot, add the tofu and cook until golden, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a dinner plate and cover. (Cook the fish or chicken if using.) Serve with the green beans.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables