Thai Shredded Chicken and Strawberry Salad
Photo: Annabelle Breakey; Styling: Karen Shinto
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 401
- Calories from fat: 37%
- Protein: 38g
- Fat: 17g
- Saturated fat: 9.9g
- Carbohydrate: 28g
- Fiber: 7g
- Sodium: 616mg
- Cholesterol: 94mg
- 1 1/2 pounds boned, skinned chicken breasts
- 3/4 cup unsweetened flaked coconut*
- 3/4 cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Thai or Vietnamese fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons minced, seeded jalapeño chiles
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 1/2 cups lightly packed small fresh mint leaves
- 1 1/2 cups lightly packed small fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup lightly packed small cilantro sprigs
- 1 quart strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 1. Heat 4 qts. water to boiling in a 5- to 6-qt. pan. Add chicken, cover, and remove from heat. Let stand until chicken is no longer pink in center, 20 to 30 minutes. Transfer chicken to a plate and let cool.
- 2. Preheat oven to 350°. Toast coconut in a pan until light golden, 4 minutes. Let cool.
- 3. Combine lime juice, sugar, fish sauce, chiles, and oil in a large bowl. Tear chicken into bite-size shreds; toss with dressing. Just before serving, gently mix in herbs and berries. Pile on plates and top with coconut.
- Shortcut: Use 4 cups shredded meat from a 2 1/2-lb. rotisserie chicken (don't poach).
- *Buy unsweetened flaked coconut in the baking aisle or at a health-food store.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note