This was great, but required quite a bit of chopping. I had two people helping me and it still took us about 30 minutes to get it together - glad I had help! I will definitely make it again, though - loved the flavors. Added sriracha to kick up the heat.
Thai Fish-and-Noodle Soup
Randy Mayor; Jan Gautro
The Selims make this family favorite with salmon, but halibut also works well.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 2 cups soup and 3 ounces fish)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 338
- Calories from fat: 11%
- Fat: 4g
- Saturated fat: 0.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.6g
- Protein: 32.7g
- Carbohydrate: 46.8g
- Fiber: 10.5g
- Cholesterol: 53mg
- Iron: 8.9mg
- Sodium: 1261mg
- Calcium: 264mg
- 1/4 pound uncooked pad thai noodles (wide rice stick noodles)
- 4 cups water
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped seeded jalapeño pepper
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced peeled lemon grass
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups thinly sliced shiitake mushroom caps (about 1 pound mushrooms)
- 2 cups julienne-cut red bell pepper
- 1 cup (1-inch) sliced asparagus
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrot
- 4 (4-ounce) skinned halibut fillets or other firm white fish fillets
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Dash of black pepper
- 10 cup coarsely chopped spinach (about 8 ounces)
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced green onions
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Preheat broiler.
- Place noodles in a bowl; cover with hot water. Let stand 3 minutes; drain.
- Combine 4 cups water and next 6 ingredients (water through 1/2 teaspoon salt) in a Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Add noodles, mushrooms, bell pepper, asparagus, and carrot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 7 minutes.
- Sprinkle the fillets with 1/8 teaspoon salt and black pepper. Place fillets on a broiler pan; cook 6 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork.
- Stir spinach, onion, and cilantro into noodle mixture. Return to a boil; cook 1 minute or until spinach wilts. Ladle soup into serving bowls; top each serving with a fillet.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews