- 1 pound clams in shells, suitable for steaming (see notes)
- 1 pound mussels in shells (see notes)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup minced shallots
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 can (13 1/2 oz.) coconut milk (see notes)
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1/3 cup Asian sweet chili sauce (see notes)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/3 cup slivered fresh basil leaves
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions
- Lime wedges
- calories 395
- caloriesfromfat 64 %
- protein 9.1 g
- fat 28 g
- satfat 19 g
- carbohydrate 19 g
- fiber 0.7 g
- sodium 283 mg
- cholesterol 15 mg
How to Make It
Scrub clams and mussels; pull beards off mussels if still attached. Discard any clams and mussels that don't close when you tap their shells.
Pour olive oil into a 10- to 12-inch frying pan over medium-high heat; when hot, add shallots, ginger, and garlic and stir often until shallots are limp, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in coconut milk, wine, and chili sauce and bring to a boil.
Add clams, cover, and cook for 5 minutes. Add mussels, cover, and simmer, reducing heat if necessary, until all the shells have opened, 2 to 3 minutes longer. Gently stir in lime juice and basil; add salt to taste.
Pour into a large bowl for sharing, or ladle into individual bowls. Sprinkle green onions on top and garnish with lime wedges.