- 1 1/3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 4), cut into 1-by-2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons Asian fish sauce (nam pla or nuoc mam)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 large onion, cut into thin slices
- 3 fresh red chiles, seeds and ribs removed, cut into thin slices, or 1/4 teaspoon dried red-pepper flakes
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups lightly packed basil leaves
How to Make It
In a medium bowl, combine the chicken with the fish sauce, soy sauce, water, and sugar.In a large nonstick frying pan or a wok, heat the oil over moderately high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Stir in the chiles and garlic; cook, stirring, 30 seconds longer.
Remove the chicken from the marinade with a slotted spoon and add it to the hot pan. Cook until almost done, stirring, about 3 minutes. Add the marinade and cook 30 seconds longer. Remove from the heat and stir in 1 cup of the basil. Serve topped with the remaining 1/2 cup basil.
Wine Recommendation: Look for a rich but dry white wine, such as a pinot gris from the Alsace region in France.
Notes: Asian fish sauce is available at Asian markets and many supermarkets