Good. 5 tsp of fish sauce gives it a shrimpy flavor, suggest you start with less and add if you need. Use less olive oil than it calls for, or you have oil floating on the top of the soup. Note that you should use PRECOOKED chicken or let it cook longer than 1 1/2 minutes! Also I used fresh grated ginger instead of ground.
Thai Chicken and Coconut Soup with Noodles
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 quart canned low-sodium chicken broth or homemade stock
- 2 cups canned unsweetened coconut milk
- 5 teaspoons Asian fish sauce (nam pla or nuoc mam) or soy sauce
- 1 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 2 3- inch-long strips lime zest
- 1/2 pound egg fettuccine
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 3), cut into 14-inch slices
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro (optional)
- 1. In a large pot, heat the cooking oil over moderately low heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until it is translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, coriander, ginger, black pepper, and cayenne; cook, stirring, for 30 seconds.
- 2. Add the broth, coconut milk, fish sauce, salt, and lime zest. Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Reduce the heat and simmer, partially covered, for 10 minutes.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the fettuccine until just done, about 12 minutes. Drain.
- 4. Add the chicken to the soup and simmer until just done, about 1 1/2 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat and stir in the fettuccine, lime juice, and cilantro, if using. Serve the soup in bowls with a fork and spoon.
- Wine Recommendation: The spices and the coconut milk will be best accompanied by a wine with a hint of sweetness. Try a chenin blanc from California or a demi-sec version of Vouvray (also made from the chenin blanc grape).
- Notes: Asian fish sauce is available at Asian markets and some supermarkets
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes