I added 1/2 can more of coconut soup, 2 tablespoons of sugar and tripled the Thai Chili Paste. I also added bamboo shoots, water chestnuts and baby corn. Oh, and just a little salt and pepper. Actually, it just needs a little extra of all the ingredients listed above and then it's very delicious.
Thai Chicken Coconut Soup (Tom Kha Gai)
This classic Thai chicken soup gets its rich flavor from quintessential Thai ingredients: coconut milk, lemongrass, fresh ginger, lime juice, chile paste, basil and cilantro.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 357
- Calories from fat: 63%
- Protein: 29g
- Fat: 25g
- Saturated fat: 19g
- Carbohydrate: 7.2g
- Fiber: 0.5g
- Sodium: 484mg
- Cholesterol: 79mg
- 1 can (14 oz.) coconut milk
- 1 can (14 oz.) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 6 quarter-size slices fresh ginger
- 1 stalk fresh lemongrass, cut in 1-in. pieces
- 1 pound boned, skinned chicken breast or thighs, cut into 1-in. chunks
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon Thai or Vietnamese fish sauce (nuoc mam or nam pla)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon Thai chili paste
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- In a medium saucepan, combine coconut milk, broth, ginger, and lemongrass and bring to boil over high heat. Add chicken, mushrooms, lime juice, fish sauce, sugar, and chili paste. Reduce heat and simmer until chicken is firm and opaque, 5 to 10 minutes. Discard lemongrass. Garnish servings with basil and cilantro.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per 1 1/2-cup serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note