Thai Beef Salad
Photo: Leo Gong; Styling: Dan Becker
This is a great way to serve leftover steak. Prep and Cook Time: 35 minutes.
Yield: Makes 4 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 373
- Calories from fat: 48%
- Protein: 31g
- Fat: 20g
- Saturated fat: 6.6g
- Carbohydrate: 16g
- Fiber: 4.1g
- Sodium: 477mg
- Cholesterol: 79mg
- 2 steaks (each 10 oz. and about 1 in. thick)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Asian chili garlic sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons white rice
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 teaspoons light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 1 hothouse or English cucumber, halved lengthwise, seeded, and thinly sliced
- 4 cups salad greens
- 1/2 cup fresh mint, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped peanuts
- 1. Preheat broiler with oven rack 4 in. below heat. Rinse steaks and pat dry. Sprinkle with salt on both sides and rub each with 1/2 tsp. chili garlic sauce.
- 2. In a small dry frying pan over medium-high heat, toast rice until light brown. Set aside to cool.
- 3. Meanwhile, place steaks on a baking sheet and broil for 4 minutes on each side. Set aside to rest.
- 4. In a spice mill or clean coffee grinder, grind rice to a powder.
- 5. In a small bowl, whisk together lime juice, brown sugar, fish sauce, and remaining 1/2 tsp. chili garlic sauce.
- 6. In a large bowl, toss cucumber, greens, mint, cilantro, and basil with 1/2 of the dressing. Divide salad among 4 plates. Cut steaks into 1/4-in.-thick slices and arrange on salads. Drizzle with remaining dressing, sprinkle with rice powder and peanuts, and serve immediately.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes