We made a few substitutions, but the key to the flavor here is the fresh basil! My kids (ages 5 and 8) loved it too -- just used chili-infused oil instead of fresh chilies to give a hint of spice tolerable to the young palate :-). I didn't have green beans, so used asparagus from the oven instead. Easy, quick.
Thai Basil-Turkey Stir-Fry
Notes: This Thai dish is often made with minced chicken; ground turkey speeds preparation. Add or subtract chilies to suit your heat tolerance.
Yield: Makes 4 to 6 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 410
- Calories from fat: 12%
- Protein: 27g
- Fat: 5.3g
- Saturated fat: 1g
- Carbohydrate: 64g
- Fiber: 1.8g
- Sodium: 435mg
- Cholesterol: 47mg
- 8 ounces green beans, rinsed, ends trimmed, and any strings removed
- 2 teaspoons salad oil
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 green onions (including green tops), rinsed and thinly sliced
- 2 serrano or other hot red or green chilies, rinsed, stemmed, and thinly sliced crosswise into rings (see notes)
- 1 pound ground turkey breast
- 2/3 cup fat-skimmed chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Asian fish sauce (nam pla or nuoc mam)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 cup chopped fresh Thai or sweet basil leaves
- 1/4 cup roasted cashews
- 4 cups hot cooked jasmine rice
- 1. In a 3- to 4-quart pan over high heat, bring 2 quarts water to a boil. Add green beans and cook just until they turn bright green and are tender-crisp, 30 seconds. Drain and immediately rinse under cold running water until cool to touch. Cut beans diagonally into 1-inch lengths.
- 2. Pour oil into a 12-inch nonstick frying pan or 14-inch wok over high heat. When hot, add garlic, half the green onions, and half the chilies. Stir until fragrant, 1 minute. Add ground turkey and stir frequently until very little pink remains and turkey is crumbly, about 5 minutes.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a 2-cup glass measure, mix chicken broth, brown sugar, fish sauce, soy sauce, and pepper. Pour over turkey mixture and stir until liquid is partly evaporated and turkey is no longer pink in center of thickest pieces (cut to test), about 4 minutes. Stir in green beans and 3/4 cup chopped basil.
- 4. Pour into a serving bowl and sprinkle with the remaining basil, green onions, and sliced chilies. Top with the cashews. Serve alongside hot cooked jasmine rice.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note