- 1 pound ground chuck
- 1/2 medium-size red onion, chopped
- 1 (4-ounce) can diced green chiles
- 12 (6-inch) corn tortillas, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 (10 3/4-ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (2 1/4-ounce) can sliced ripe black olives
- 1 cup mild enchilada sauce
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 (8-ounce) block sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded and divided
- Toppings: shredded lettuce, diced tomato, finely chopped red onion
How to Make It
Cook first 3 ingredients in a large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring until beef crumbles and is no longer pink. Drain well.
Place beef mixture in a large bowl. Stir in tortilla pieces, next 4 ingredients, and 1 cup cheese; spoon mixture into a lightly greased 11- x 7-inch baking dish. Sprinkle evenly with remaining 1 cup cheese.
Bake at 400° for 20 to 25 minutes or until bubbly. Serve casserole with desired toppings.
"Lightened Texas-Style Enchilada Casserole:" Substitute 1 pound ground sirloin, 1 (10 3/4-ounce) can 98% fat-free cream of mushroom soup, 1/2 cup light sour cream, and 1 (8-ounce) block 2% reduced-fat sharp Cheddar cheese. Proceed as directed.
Ann Scates, Bethalto, Illinois