This is the absolute best flavored beef brisket I have ever tasted. I let my brisket set over nite with the spices on the brisket and then cooked all day in a slow cooker on Low.
Texas-Style Barbecued Beef Brisket
Photo: Becky-Luigart Stayner; Styling: Mary Clayton Carl
More From Southern Living
Total: 7 Hours, 40 Minutes
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon jarred beef soup base
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons hickory liquid smoke
- 1 (2- to 3-lb.) beef brisket flat, trimmed
- 1/4 cup beer
- 3 tablespoons bottled chili sauce
- 1. Lightly grease a 6-qt. slow cooker; add onion and garlic. Stir together chili powder and next 5 ingredients. Rub over brisket; place brisket over onion mixture in slow cooker.
- 2. Whisk together beer and chili sauce. Slowly pour mixture around brisket (to avoid removing spices from brisket).
- 3. Cover and cook on LOW 7 to 8 hours (or on HIGH 4 to 5 hours) or until fork-tender. Uncover and let stand in slow cooker 20 minutes.
- 4. Remove brisket from slow cooker; cut brisket across the grain into thin slices. Return brisket to slow cooker, and spoon pan juices over meat.
We tested with Heinz Chili Sauce.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes