My mom has been making this cake forever. It is fabulous!!
Texas Sheet Cake
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Chocolate Icing
- Sift together sugar and flour in a large bowl; set aside.
- Combine butter and next 3 ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, until butter and shortening melt. Remove from heat, and pour over sugar mixture, stirring until dissolved. Cool slightly.
- Stir in buttermilk and next 3 ingredients. Pour into a greased and lightly floured 15- x 10-inch jellyroll pan.
- Bake at 400° for 20 minutes. (Cake will have a fudgelike texture.) Spread warm cake with Chocolate Icing.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Texas Sheet Cake Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes for Desserts