- 2 large onions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 3 pounds boneless chuck roast, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 1/2 tablespoons oregano
- 1 (1 1/2-ounce) can chili powder
- 1 (28-ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained
- 3 1/2 cups water
- Shredded Cheddar cheese
How to Make It
Sauté first 3 ingredients in oil until tender; set aside.
Combine meat, cumin, and oregano in a large Dutch oven; cook over medium heat until meat is browned. Add onion mixture, chili powder, tomatoes, and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 2 to 3 hours, stirring frequently.
Ladle into individual soup bowls. Top each serving with cheese.