I used brown rice and cooked it myself (I can't stand pre-cooked rice, yuck!), but it was still super fast! Took about 15 total - good thing because the kiddos were starving! This was a complete hit and will be added to my regular rotation. Next time, I will add a second can of beans.
Tex-Mex Rice Bowl
Tex-Mex Rice Bowl is your answer to a quick & easy one-dish meal for those busy weeknights. A pouch of precooked brown rice gives a head-start to getting this meal to the table fast. Serve with Avocado-Butter Lettuce Salad.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 11 Minutes
- Calories: 306
- Fat: 7.6g
- Saturated fat: 2.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.3g
- Protein: 18.1g
- Carbohydrate: 44.4g
- Fiber: 4.3g
- Cholesterol: 37mg
- Iron: 2.7mg
- Sodium: 503mg
- Calcium: 28mg
- 1 (8.8-ounce) pouch precooked brown rice (such as Uncle Ben's)
- 8 ounces ground sirloin
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons 40%-less-sodium taco seasoning (such as Ortega)
- 1/2 cup frozen whole-kernel corn
- 1 (15-ounce) can organic black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup fresh pico de gallo
- 1 jalapeño pepper, minced
- 4 teaspoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Avocado-Butter Lettuce Salad
- 1. Heat rice according to directions.
- 2. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add beef; cook 3 minutes or until done, stirring to crumble. Stir in 1/4 cup water and taco seasoning; bring to a simmer. Stir in corn and beans; cook 1 minute or until heated. Stir in rice. Top with pico de gallo and jalapeño. Sprinkle with cilantro.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note