Made it for the 4th and everyone tried it and said it was ok but not crazy about it. Made 3 different salads and 2 of them disappeared. I agree it's ok but I wont make it again since I had to throw half of it away cause nobody wanted seconds.
Tex-Mex Pasta Salad
This kid-friendly recipe is a takeoff on macaroni and cheese; it makes a large batch that holds well for two or three days. Serve with pickled jalapeño slices for grownups who like spicy food.
Yield: 12 servings (serving size: about 1 1/3 cups)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 344
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Fat: 11.4g
- Saturated fat: 5.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.4g
- Protein: 23.4g
- Carbohydrate: 38.5g
- Fiber: 3.6g
- Cholesterol: 51mg
- Iron: 2.9mg
- Sodium: 632mg
- Calcium: 193mg
- 1 pound uncooked radiatore pasta (short coiled pasta)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 pounds ground turkey
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 (1.25-ounce) package 40%-less-sodium taco seasoning (such as Old El Paso)
- 2 cups (8 ounces) preshredded reduced-fat Mexican blend cheese
- 2 cups chopped seeded tomato
- 1 cup chopped bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1/2 cup sliced ripe olives
- 1 (15.5-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (8-ounce) container reduced-fat sour cream
- Salsa (optional)
- Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain and rinse with cold water. Drain; set aside.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute. Add turkey; cook until browned, stirring to crumble. Stir in water and taco seasoning; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 4 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates and the turkey is done, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; cool slightly.
- Combine pasta, turkey mixture, reduced-fat cheese, and next 6 ingredients (through beans) in a large bowl.
- Combine lime juice, salt, cumin, and sour cream, stirring until well blended. Pour over pasta mixture; toss gently to coat. Serve with salsa, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note