My family liked this. One jalapeno was enough heat for us along with the medium salsa. I did save the crispy tortillas for the top with serving. Next time I will make them into thinner strips as they didn't get as crisp as I would like. I also used 6 whole eggs, which I know adds fat and calories but even with the whole eggs, we found this served only 3 hearty appetites. Next time I will cut back the tortillas to 2 to help balance it out.
"Migas" means "crumbs," and that's just what this dish is--small bits of tortilla, cheese, salsa, and eggs scrambled up into one of the Southwest's signature specialties. A staple of the Lone Star State, migas can also be found in Mexican breakfast spots across the country.
More From Oxmoor House
- Calories: 193
- Fat: 10.4g
- Saturated fat: 3.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.6g
- Protein: 10.2g
- Carbohydrate: 13.7g
- Fiber: 1.7g
- Cholesterol: 148mg
- Iron: 0.9mg
- Sodium: 237mg
- Calcium: 113mg
- 3 large eggs
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 4 (6-inch) corn tortillas, cut into 1/2-inch-wide strips
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped seeded jalapeño peppers (about 2 large)
- 2/3 cup lower-sodium salsa
- 1.3 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, shredded (about 1/3 cup)
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- Hot sauce (optional)
- Lower-sodium red salsa (optional)
- Lower-sodium green salsa (optional)
- 1. Place eggs and egg whites in a bowl; stir with a whisk until blended.
- 2. Heat a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add tortilla strips to pan, and cook 3 minutes or until brown, stirring frequently. Add onion and jalapeño peppers to pan; sauté 2 minutes or until tender. Stir in 2/3 cup salsa, and cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute.
- 3. Add egg mixture; cook 2 minutes or until eggs are soft-set, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle egg mixture with cheese. Cook 30 seconds or until cheese melts. Top with green onions, and serve immediately. Serve with hot sauce, red salsa, or green salsa, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note