This is similar to a recipe that I make. The only suggestion I have is when you cook the tortilla strips and they are golden, remove them from the skillet and set aside on a paper towel. Once the rest of the ingredients are almost done, add the tortilla strips back to the pan and finish cooking. This will give you a wonderful hearty breakfast that has the great crunch of the tortillas. That's how we serve them here in Texas.
"Migas" means "crumbs," and that's just what this dish is--small bits of tortilla, cheese, salsa, and eggs scrambled up into one of the Southwest's signature specialties. A staple of the Lone Star State, migas can also be found in Mexican breakfast spots across the country.
More From Oxmoor House
- Calories: 193
- Fat: 10.4g
- Saturated fat: 3.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.6g
- Protein: 10.2g
- Carbohydrate: 13.7g
- Fiber: 1.7g
- Cholesterol: 148mg
- Iron: 0.9mg
- Sodium: 237mg
- Calcium: 113mg
- 3 large eggs
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 4 (6-inch) corn tortillas, cut into 1/2-inch-wide strips
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped seeded jalapeño peppers (about 2 large)
- 2/3 cup lower-sodium salsa
- 1.3 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, shredded (about 1/3 cup)
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- Hot sauce (optional)
- Lower-sodium red salsa (optional)
- Lower-sodium green salsa (optional)
- 1. Place eggs and egg whites in a bowl; stir with a whisk until blended.
- 2. Heat a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add tortilla strips to pan, and cook 3 minutes or until brown, stirring frequently. Add onion and jalapeño peppers to pan; sauté 2 minutes or until tender. Stir in 2/3 cup salsa, and cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute.
- 3. Add egg mixture; cook 2 minutes or until eggs are soft-set, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle egg mixture with cheese. Cook 30 seconds or until cheese melts. Top with green onions, and serve immediately. Serve with hot sauce, red salsa, or green salsa, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note