The tofu itself had the perfect, dense texture - like store-bought baked tofu - and a great sweet glaze to the outside. The rest of the dish needs definite improvement. Make extra soy sauce mixture, and toss with the soba noodles, which were dry and plain. 1 tablespoon of sauce per serving is no where near enough. Cook the bok choy longer so it is more tender. The green onions as garnish had too much of a bite - saute them in a little sesame oil first.
Teriyaki Tofu Steaks with Soba Noodles
Photo: Karry Hosford
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 331
- Calories from fat: 19%
- Fat: 6.9g
- Saturated fat: 1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 3.2g
- Protein: 18.3g
- Carbohydrate: 47.5g
- Fiber: 3.6g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 4mg
- Sodium: 848mg
- Calcium: 244mg
- 1 pound water-packed extra-firm tofu, drained
- 1/4 cup mirin (sweet rice wine)
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped peeled fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons sake (rice wine)
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dark sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 4 heads baby bok choy (about 1 1/2 pounds), each cut in half lengthwise
- 4 cups cooked soba noodles (about 1 pound uncooked buckwheat noodles)
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds, toasted
- Place tofu between several layers of paper towels. Place a heavy plate on top of tofu, and let stand 20 minutes. Cut tofu crosswise into 4 pieces.
- Combine mirin and next 8 ingredients (mirin through garlic) in a bowl, stirring with a whisk.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add tofu pieces; pour mirin mixture over tofu. Bring to a boil; cook 4 minutes. Turn tofu pieces over; cook 3 minutes. Remove from heat, and keep warm.
- Bring broth to a boil in a Dutch oven. Add bok choy; cover and cook 2 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain.
- Place 1 cup soba noodles on each of 4 plates; top each serving with 1 tofu piece. Spoon about 1 tablespoon sauce over each tofu piece; sprinkle each serving with 1 tablespoon green onions and 1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds. Arrange 2 bok choy halves on each plate.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This