I love this key lime pie!!! I have made this pie twice and each time it turns out perfect!
Tequila-Key Lime Meringue Pie
Photo: Jody Horton
More From Southern Living
Total: 4 Hours, 10 Minutes
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 8 large egg yolks
- 2 (14-oz.) cans sweetened condensed milk
- 3/4 cup Key lime juice
- 2 tablespoons lime zest
- 1 tablespoon tequila
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2/3 cup boiling water
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Stir together first 5 ingredients; firmly press mixture on bottom and up sides of a lightly greased 9 1/2-inch deep-dish pie plate. Bake 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Transfer to a wire rack, and cool completely (about 30 minutes).
- 2. Whisk together egg yolks and next 4 ingredients in a large bowl; pour mixture into cooled crust. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until set. Cool completely on a wire rack (about 1 hour).
- 3. Preheat oven to 375°. Whisk 3 Tbsp. cold water into cornstarch in a 1-qt. saucepan; whisk in 2/3 cup boiling water. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, 1 minute or until a thick gel forms. Remove from heat; cool completely (about 30 minutes).
- 4. Beat 4 egg whites and cream of tartar at medium-high speed with a heavy-duty electric stand mixer, using whisk attachment, until foamy. Gradually add 1 cup sugar; beat until glossy, stiff peaks form. Beat in vanilla and salt. Slowly beat in cornstarch mixture. Beat 3 minutes.
- 5. Spread meringue over cooled pie, and bake at 375° for 15 minutes or until meringue is golden brown. Transfer to wire rack, and cool completely (about 45 minutes). Serve at room temperature, or cover and chill 8 to 24 hours.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This